Tuesday 22 November 2011

Salted Dulce De Leche Ice Cream

I am completely obsessed with salted caramel and have looked everywhere to buy real Argentinian Dulce De Leche with no success. (Thank you Ana for the correction!)

Then I discovered David Lebovitz. Now, I regularly make Dulce De Leche, his way.  It is incredibly easy.  I also love it because it's not as messy as some techniques (and I am, as you will see from the sate of my benches and stove top in the pictures below, extremely messy!!!) nor is it as scary as the boiling on the stove technique for someone who gets distracted very easily!

I have used it to make Dulce De Leche brownies - also one of David's recipes, as well as an amazing Donna Hay chocolate and caramel pudding.

A few weeks ago we were having friends over for dinner and I was making a buffet of lots of different savoury foods, so I wanted something I could make ahead for dessert.  So I decided to make ice cream. I ended up making three different ice creams!  The first was a chocolate, peanut butter ice cream (which can be found in his book The Perfect Scoop), the second was a white chocolate sorbet which you can find here.

My favourite caramel ice cream is yet another one of David's and is Salted Butter Caramel with praline through it.  It is extreme and delicious. You can find the recipe here.  It is super rich with butter, eggs and cream and with our savoury menu I wanted something "lighter"!!! ;-)

I saw a recipe for Dulce De Leche ice cream on the lovely Lisa's http://spicyicecream.com.au/ blog and set out to make a version of that.  She has some brilliant recipes over there and I shall certainly work my way through them!  You can find Lisa's original version here.

So this is my tribute to my two favourite ice cream bloggers, using a combination of their recipes.

Salted Dulce De Leche Ice Cream

Ingredients:
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
-a decent sprinkle of sea salt

-300ml cream
-500ml full fat milk
-1 tsp vanilla paste

Method:
-make the Dulce De Leche using David's method - see it in detail here.  I made a double batch for this recipe.

Pour both tins of milk in to oven proof dish.


Cover with foil and put it in a larger dish to create a water bath. Half fill with boiling water and put in 210 degree oven for 1-1.5 hours.  I usually keep it in a bit longer as I like it quite dark.  ESSENTIAL POINT-keep checking the water level in the bath and refill a couple of times through the cooking process.


Remove the foil and add a generous sprinkle of sea salt.




When the Dulce De Leche is still in the oven (but nearly ready), heat the milk and cream in a heavy based saucepan.


When the mixture is almost at a boil, add 3/4 of the still hot Dulce de Leche and the vanilla paste and whisk over the heat until all dissolved and smooth.


Allow to cool, then put in fridge for several hours until very cold.


Churn mixture as per your ice cream maker's instructions.  For mine, it is about 25 minutes on 1.



When the ice cream is thick, add a couple of spoonfuls of the remaining Dulce De Leche and churn gently just to combine and swirl through.


When you put it in a container to put in the freezer, dollop small blobs of  remaining Dulce De Leche and fold through with a spatula.

My husband can not possibly wait another minute to taste the ice cream so he has a taste straight from churning.


YUM!

Mini scoops of all three flavours for our dinner party.


A few days later, with a freezer FULL of ice cream, I made some choc tops.

Melt 50grams of milk and 50grams of dark chocolate over a double boiler and line 3 waffle cones.  Put in freezer to set.



 Add a scoop of the salted Dulce De Leche ice cream and then quickly cover with the remaining melted chocolate and put back in the freezer to set.



The look a bit revolting, but I like to think it's in a good way!!!!!!!!!  They were extremely yummy!!!

Since making this, I have seen a post for these little beauties and am in the process of knocking them up using another batch of this ice cream for my sister in law's birthday this week. They look a lot more refined than my choc tops!!!

Love Amy xoxo

10 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try the ice cream! I originally come from South Africa (live in Canada for close to 12 years) In SA we make our version of Dulce De Leche. Put the tins Sweetened Condense Milk in a pot of boiling water for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or a 1/2 hour in al pressure cooker. So you can do many tins at the same time and keep it in your pantry till you need it, it lasts forever! This is used in our famous Peppermint Crisp Tart (Pie) ..... wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear blogger: dulce de leche is a delicious sweet from Argentina, not from Spain. It was invented en XIX century. A politician maid forgot a bowl with milk over the embers and when she realized and came back to the kitchen, she found a brown and marvelous cream which many year after was named DULCE DE LECHE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are going to boil cans of condensed milk...you MUST make sure they are constantly covered by water. If they boiled dry they will explode. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the comments.

    And thank you Ana for the correction - I was very distracted this morning when writing this post and mistakenly wrote Spanish. Silly woman I am! I have now corrected it above! Your blog is beautiful. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally going to try this my lovely! Thanks for the tip(s). I love caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous post - I love your little ice cream cones with chocolate inside...yum! So glad you enjoyed the ice cream rolos too...salted butter caramel ice cream is just so good but your dulce de leche possibly looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look amazing. Have never tasted it. Not sure I am brave enough to cook it myself though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eternal Caterpillar18 December 2011 at 09:05

    This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing.

    Re: making Dulce De Leche by boiling tins of condensed milk on the stove-top - I did that one time to make Banoffee Pie, and on opening the tins I felt I could just have bought cans of Nestle Top n Fill and had the same substance.

    I wonder if you could use a couple of tins of that to make this ice-cream? I might give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. it's really a good contribution to us guys not good at icecream, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it's not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to best christmas gifts

    visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok I just made this and it's truly awesome! Thank you for the recipe.

    Lieke, The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete