Tuesday 31 January 2012

Roast Pumpkin, Sage & Pinenut Risotto



I originally saw a version of this recipe years ago on a cooking show where a guest chef made a no stir risotto with pumpkin puree stirred through a the end.  The no stir method appeals to me as there are always a million other things to do at the crazy late afternoon cooking time around here and I usually have at least one child under foot!! As for the roasting element, it adds flavour and with baking paper, it doesn't create extra dishes to wash!

Serves - approximately 6-8, depending on the hunger and age of the eaters! It's enough for the 4 of us to eat for 2 nights.

Ingredients:

  • 1 large, or 2 small pieces of pumpkin, cut in to cubes - the recipe is very flexible - I use a lot of pumpkin as it's a good way to get lots of veggies in to my boys, but feel free to use less if you prefer.
  • 2 generous cups of risotto rice* (Carnoroli is my favourite)
  • 1.3 litres of HOT stock of your choice (I use a vegetarian chicken style stock that I prefer the flavour of.)
  • A bunch of sage leaves
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • olive oil & butter for cooking
  • Pinenuts toasted in a dry frypan or in an moderate oven
  • Parmesan cheese 


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 180-190 degrees Celsius
  • Scatter pumpkin cubes and sage leaves on 2 trays covered in baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil & add salt and pepper to taste (as I cook for the littlies, I only add a tiny bit of salt and pepper at this point and add more on the adults serves later.)
  • Roast for 30-40 minutes
  • In a large non stick frypan or wok, heat some olive oil and butter until slightly frothy

  • Add the rice and cook for a few minutes



  • Add the crushed garlic and cook for one minute
  • Add all of the hot stock and stir to ensure all the rice and stock are mixed well - keep the heat medium

  • Leave for 10 minutes and then check and give a quick stir 

  • Continue to cook for another 10 minutes and check stock level is ok (add more hot water or stock if you need to)

  • Take the pumpkin out of the oven, reserving half of the sage


  • Roughly mash the pumpkin and the remaining sage




  • Stir through the risotto and adjust the water/stock level if you feel it needs more. Cook for a few minutes and then check if the rice is cooked. Mine cooks in 20-25 minutes, but it will depend on the type of rice you use, the temperature and the size of the pan. So a rough guide is 20-30 minutes




  • Serve with the reserved crisp sage leaves, toasted pinenuts and finely grated Parmesan cheese




* Note -  - I have a very strong preference for Carnaroli rice but Aborio will do fine. I think Carnaroli is has a better texture and is less likely to turn sloppy, but that just may be my cooking abilities and have nothing to do with the rice!!!  As I make enough risotto to have it for two nights, this rice reheats better (keeping it's shape and texture) in my experience.

** To reheat the following day, add some extra water or stock to the risotto and reheat quickly.

Tonight, I'm going use the leftovers try make some Arancini - recipe from the lovely Cat can be found here.  Yum!!!!  

Love Amy xoxo

16 comments:

  1. How is the spectacular COLOUR!!!!
    Pumpkin & sage.....LOVE those two together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely Ruth! I ADORE your cooking and am constantly envious of your beautiful boys who get to eat your dinners every night!!!!xoxo

      Delete
  2. Amy, you never fail to get me salivating after visiting your blog! Yum!
    I adore risotto but I am forever tied to the stove stirring it. I've never tried a no-stir version. I think this will be our dinner this evening! Delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you gorgeous Amelia! I wish I could cook it for you tonight so you can rest up! I hope it satisfies you and your pregnant cravings really well.xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. I can't WAIT to make this!

    My favurite vegetable is pumpkin! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my fave veg too Cherie!!! Hope you enjoy it!xo

      Delete
  4. What happened to my comment? ;( anyhow, I love risotto but leave it mostly to weekends cos as you know I hate cooking at 5pm! I will however try this method cos umm...no stir!! Yes please! By the way I LOVE me some marinated in olive oil fetta added to the end of my pumpkin risotto do you think that'd work with this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - you have a knack of reading my mind Cat! I often serve this with marinated goats fetta on top and I was planning on including that in the post above, but had run out!
      I made the leftovers in to your Arancini for lunch today and they were delicious! Best Arancini I've ever made! Thank you!xoxo

      Delete
  5. Making my mouth water! I also add bacon to my pumpkin risotto..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, sorry to make you hungry!!! I have put crispy prosciutto on top of this for the red meat eating boys of our household and they loved it too! Pumpkin, bacon & sage are a good combo!xo

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I make a similar one with goats cheese sprinkled on the top at the end. So creamy!

    Love the no stir approach though - I might have to give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, yes I love this with goats cheese on top too!!! Yum!
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious!

    Hi Amy,
    I was your secret Santa through the blog secret Santa that Chantelle Ellem created. I was just wondering if you received your gift, and if you liked it.

    I love your blog!

    Morgan xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Morgan, I'm so glad you've revealed yourself!!! I LOVED my pressies - you are so generous! Thank you so much! I'm going to check out your blog and send you an email now that I know who you are!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. I really must attempt to make a risotto Amy. It's just i'm a little scared, as I'm not very good at cooking rice. It looks amazing, all of your food looks AMAZING . Thankyou for sharing your recipes xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Alisha, I hope you like it if you try it!!!xo

      Delete